Friday, April 29, 2005

Not sure about Ben Folds' new CD

Okay, so I loved Ben Folds' first solo album "Rockin' the Suburbs" from 2001. That album sparkled and Ben seemed perched to release several more albums with just as much of a creative burst. But, four years later, we get the follow-up, "Songs For Silverman." And, I know it hasn't really been a four year wait since Ben put out those ep's in 2003, but if we're talking about product available in music stores, it's been a four year wait. And, the new album is kinda' a downer. I mean, Ben's songwriting remains brilliant, but the lyrics are a lot more depressing this time around. And, there's a nauseatingly sweet song about his daughter called "Gracie" which I find a little bit much, except maybe for members of his own family to hear. And, the album version of "Give Judy My Notice" is far inferior to the ep version from "Speed Graphic" in 2003. The album is only 11 songs long, so if you subtract "Gracie" and "Judy," you're left with only 9 songs. So, we waited four years for 9 songs!!! And, we'll probably have to wait five years for his next in-store full-length album. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have a new album from him, but I just gotta' rant a little bit about this. One more thing -- I'm a little underwhelmed by this whole "Dualdisc" phenomenon. I'd rather just have my old-fashioned CD with a cool image on the label-side, thank you very much. Okay, I'm done now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home