Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sesto is the Besto

I would like to take the opportunity to write a few words in English about the great Spanish singer Camilo Sesto, since there is almost nothing on the web for people who can only read and understand the English language.




I got into Camilo Sesto in the summer of 2008 when I was routinely scouring the Latin Pop music bins at the FYE in Torrington, CT. I found a cd compilation and I gave it a scan with their digital listening system. I was trans-fixed from the first note. The music was brilliantly composed and arranged (which Camilo does himself) and his voice is just heavenly.




So, I quickly set out to get my hands on whatever other cd's I could. I wound up spending a small fortune in the acquisition of about nine titles from his discography that were only available as import titles from independent sellers on Amazon Marketplace. I was able to get some inexpensive but poor-quality domestic releases of about five other titles. The only cd that was reasonably priced and had good sound quality was his cd from 2003 called "Alma."




Although several of the titles are really good albums, not everything I collected made me jump for joy. I found that I related less to his work from the early 70's, but that his work from later in that decade and beyond is where it gets really good for me. If I had to do it all again, here's what I would pick up:





  • Sentimientos (from 1978)






  • Horas de Amor (from 1979)








  • Amaneciendo (from 1980)






  • Con Ganas (from 1983)






  • Amanecer/1984 (from 1984)






  • Tuyo (from 1985)






  • Agenda de Baile (from 1986)






  • A Voluntad Del Cielo (from 1991)






  • Amor Sin Vertigo (1994)






  • Alma (2003)




The reviews for Amor Sin Vertigo (from 1994) complain a lot about Camilo's vocal performance not being up to par. Okay, so years of hitting amazing high notes caused some wear and tear on the vocal cords. It happens, people. He's only human. I still found it a very good mid-90's pop album by him and I'm very happy to have it in my collection. He seemed to regain a better control of his voice and a broader range for his 2003 outing "Alma."


All in all, I just find his music to be very beautiful. His sense of melodic phrasing is unparalleled in pop music, in my opinion, both in his abilities as a composer and as a singer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home