Friday, April 28, 2006

Toyah: Chapter 3

We left off with my acquisition of "Anthem" and "The Changeling." Shortly after, I found out that Toyah was in a side-project with husband Robert Fripp called Sunday All Over the World. I ordered their only CD "Sunday All Over the World" which can basically be considered a Toyah album since she is the lead-vocalist. In fact, I think the entire backing band is the same that she has on her "Ophelia's Shadow" album, so it is very much like that album. I think I got that CD in the Fall of 1999 or 2000. At that time, I also up-graded my cassette copy of "Ophelia's Shadow" to CD thanks to the good folks at gemm.com. That was it until 2002, when I discovered Phoenix Records in Waterbury, CT. That's where I was able to get Toyah's first album "Sheep Farming in Barnet" on CD. Shortly after that, I had to severely limit my credit-card use, so I wasn't going online as much. And, several of Toyah's albums were still in their "vinyl vaults," meaning that they had come out before the advent of the CD and no record company had cared enough to release them on CD. That changed in 2005 when Edsel records re-released "Love is the Law" and "Minx," which I ordered this year. Toyah had herself gotten the rights to re-release her 1987 album "Prostitute" on her own Vertical Species label. I was able to order that as well. That brings my Toyah collection up to 9 CD's. Only three left to discuss!!! Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home